This one is always up for debate, with questions like, 'how would you make spaghetti bolognese vegan?'. Well, it's actually not that difficult, and with a little help from something called TVP, you get a really meaty taste with every bite.
Don't believe us? Check out TVP for yourself, and try it in this recipe. Packed with soy protein, it's a high fibre, low calories, protein source of food. Because it's made from the flour of soy, it is processed, so we wouldn't recommend it on a daily basis, but for this, it's just perfection.
- 400g spaghetti
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 300g chopped mushrooms
- 1 tin chickpeas
- 200g soy protein (we got this from Wooly’s. It’s called textured vegetable protein)
- 2 cups veggie stock
- 8 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 tsp soy sauce
1. Cook spaghetti following the instructions on the packet.
2. In another pan add the oil, onions, and carrot and apply medium heat for 10 minutes.
3. In the same pan, add the garlic, mushrooms, Oregano, and chickpeas.
4. In a separate bowl add the veggie stock in with the TVP.
5. Now add the tomatoes, chopped tomatoes, wine and puree to the pan. Heat for another 5 minutes, then add the soy protein.
6. Add the soy sauce, then heat for another 3-4 minutes until all is cooked through.
7. Serve on pasta and enjoy.