On the weekends growing up, we used to eat a lot of takeouts, and one thing we absolutely loved was egg fried rice. Covered in sticky soy sauce. So what did we have to do when we went vegan? Recreate it and make our very own vegan fried rice! This is the result of many efforts to absolutely perfect it so you can experience the delicious texture and balance of sweet & spicy.
There are so many ways you can do this, and some will be quicker, but if you want something that’s going to have you sold after the first mouthful, this is the recipe you want. Obviously subjective, but don’t you want to make it see if we’re not full of crap? Go on, we dare you to try and not enjoy it.
Here’s what you’ll need:
- 400g tofu
- 1 cup brown rice, rinsed thoroughly
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup of spring onion, sliced
- 2 carrots, shredded
- 1 cup of peas
- 1/2 cup of mushrooms
For the sauce:
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp smooth peanut butter
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp hot pepper sauce
1. Heat the oven up to 180C/350F.
2. Now press the tofu and slice it up.
3. Add the tofu to a tray lined with foil and add black pepper on top.
4. While the tofu is cooking, cook the rice following the packaging instructions.
5. While both of them are cooking add all the sauce ingredients together and
6. Once the tofu is done, add it to the sauce and mix around for a few minutes.
7. Now add it to a large pan with the garlic, spring onions, carrot, peas, and mushrooms.
8. Heat through for 5 minutes on high heat, then add the rice once you've drained it.
9. Heat until all is piping hot.
10. Bowl each portion out and enjoy.